Thursday, August 7, 2008

Airports

I've been subconsciously pondering the many types of people that I observe or interact with at the airport. Since I've been traveling for work a lot lately, I've been spending far too many hours of my life in airports, and it really is quite the place to people watch. Here's a rundown of the many "types" of people that I typically see.

The important business man - comes in many forms. He can be so important that he simply cannot get off of his phone (usually in the form of a bluetooth), and some are so important that they are constantly talking about something very stressful, to the point that they need to pace back and forth nervously while talking loudly on their phones. Many of these species have clear separation anxiety when they are forced to turn off their blackberries before the plane takes off...they frantically type emails up until the last second, and resume the madness the second the wheels touch the ground. Maybe I'm just not career driven enough, but I don't understand how every interaction can be seemingly life or death.

The talker - no definition needed. You know who I'm talking about...the one who sits next to you and immediately makes small talk. Only it's not just small talk...it turns into real talk, and if you're extra lucky, it can last the whole entire plane ride. You get to hear all about her husband Bill and her son Donald. You get to hear stories about dear Lucy's wedding. From my experiences, most talkers especially love to talk about themselves, and rarely ask for input from you. Maybe that's why it's so easy for the conversation to continue on far longer than it should. Being of an unsocial, taciturn disposition (bonus points to anyone who can identify where that quote is from), I dread sitting next to these people. Would it be rude to put a sign on my forehead that says "Planning to listen to Ipod and sleep"? Yeah, I thought so.

The clueless traveler - this is the person who clearly flies about once every 5 years. He/she has no clue that a license is required, along with boarding pass at the security checkpoint. They argue with airport personnel about removing their shoes. It's news to them that they can't take their extra large Dunkin Donuts coffee through security. They have no clue how the boarding process works on their airline and constantly try to board at the incorrect times. They sometimes bring carry-on bags that are far too large to fit in the overhead bins. Overall, these people are extremely talented at driving us frequent travelers insane.

The "very late" traveler - typically a businessman. He is shocked to discover that, at 5:40 am on a Monday morning (probably the busiest time at TF Green), there's a rather long security line. He begins loudly saying that, at this rate, he'll never make his 6:05 flight to Philadelphia. He clearly feels that he should be able to skip the entire security line in order to not miss his flight. The lines of separation between the very late traveler and the important businessman can often be blurry.

I could probably write about 5 more "types" of people, but I'll end it here. I'm thankfully flying home tomorrow and I'm sure I'll find some extra inspiration at some point in my travels.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

well done, my friend! My personal favorite, I think, is the Aisle Blocker. The captain and flight attendants are politely but firmly telling every one to hurry up, put their shit away, and take their seat so the already-delayed flight can Just. Take. Off. Already.
But no. Self-centered, totally un-self-aware aisle blocker just simply can't decide which bin would be best for their three oversized suitcases. Or maybe the straps should face this way. Nope, nope, let me put them on the other side of the aisle. Nope, let me try and fit them under my seat even though they are obviously too big. LET ME BLOCK THE WHOLE DAMN AISLE FOR FIVE MINUTES!

And why is it the flight attendants don't just tell them to pick an overhead bin and stick with it?? (and/or not allow them to board with that much shit in the first place)...???

Lauren said...

Oh man Caitlin...you crack me up. I'm at the airport now watching more people. But I almost fell out of my chair when I read the part whether the straps should face this way or that way...so true! Also, I failed to mention about the one trip I took where two adult men (very important businessmen of course), were sitting in the same row and argued loudly during the entire boarding process about whether one of them had taken up too much overhead bin space. The flight attendant had to tell them to grow up and stop acting like children. It was hilarious/horrifying.