Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day. Family. Adventures.

Has anyone ever done anything for you that just makes you appreciate that person in a way you never have before? Something that makes you realize, wow - this person is truly awesome. And I can count on this person. Not that you didn't appreciate he/she before, but it just makes you see them in a new light. Well this happened to me this weekend. I wanted to go on a road trip to Cape Cod but due to it being Labor Day weekend, had to resort to going Monday & Tuesday...not days that are easy for anyone to go. I've got some vacation left so it wasn't an issue, but I couldn't think of anyone who was available.

My sister and I are almost 6 years apart in age and have never been terribly close. We love each other, but aside from the age gap, we are just two completely different people. Those who know us do not need any explanation, as I am sure they are unconsciously nodding their heads right now. We rarely spend time together outside of family events, but something kept saying to me, "Rissy might want to come...she would have fun." And so I asked her to accompany me...and in typical Rissy fashion, she said "OK". Over the next month or so, I bombarded her with emails of things I wanted to do and see on our trip. She just said everything looked cool to her. Sometimes I wish I could be more laid-back like that. I am a champion planner and have trouble letting others take control, especially on vacation.


So to make a long story short(er), we went this past week and had a fabulous time. We wandered the streets of Provincetown and laughed at the funny signs on Commercial Street and took lots of pictures with her fabulous camera. We walked across the breakwater to Wood End and admired the clear water and different types of wildlife. Despite her hatred of all lighthouses, think Rissy may have even appreciated the one at Wood End. We stayed at the most adorable little B&B in town and had bagels and peanut butter for lunch. Top it off with a bike ride through the Province Lands and you have yourself a little slice of heaven in the world according to Lauren.
Anyway...the whole point of this lengthy blog is that Rissy probably has no idea how much it meant to me that she just agreed to go with me. And after the delicious bagels, laughing over the little crying girl on the wharf, and bonding over our love for the Secret Garden Inn, I'm starting to think we have more in common than we may have thought.

Here's a few pictures to start from the trip...more to come in the next few posts...

Here we are at Herring Cove Beach at sunset.

Perfect lunch for the Kelly girls.

Garden at our B&B.

Love you sister!!


3 comments:

Caitlin said...

Sigh. This sounds absolutely perfect.

I always wanted a sister. One of my best friends has two, and though they are all pretty different, they also have a bond like nothing I've seen elsewhere. So glad you got to enjoy this time with your sister! Some relationships, well, you just have to grow into them.

Caitlin said...

Um, PS? You are a totally fab writer. Please write more. kthxbai.

Rissy said...

The pleasure is all mine :)
I had so much fun, thank you so much for taking me on your trip.
Love you too!
-Rissy